Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Imagine being an orphan at John Grier Home.  They treated her well, but she had no place to go when she got older...


Random House Books for Young Readers has relaunched the Looking Glass Library series of vintage classics.  This book was republished in the new edition in January.  (Thank you very much for the opportunity to review it.)


I first read this book about 20 years ago.  It was originally written in 1912, but I had somehow never run across it in my book hunts.  The story was so great I had to buy myself a nice copy for my personal library.  Here's a great opportunity to get a very nice copy of the story for your young one's library.


The book is written for ages 8-12, and the story is done in letter form.  I really enjoyed how the author starts with a young woman just beginning college under a grant from a wealthy male benefactor and has to write to him about her progress.  The letters begin a bit stilted, not too informative, and with little curiosity about the man at the other end.


Then Ms. Webster matures her character a bit, and soon the man has a nickname (Daddy-Long-Legs) and while the letters are filled with school happenings and her learning, Judy is suddenly asking him questions about his life.


It's a soft sweet romance that touches my soul.  I could have done something like that in the right circumstances.  Why not charm your child with a very good tale about a time in the past when life was simpler?


Happy reading!

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...