Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Misadventures of a Roving Cartoonist by Tom Gill


Subtitle: The Lone Ranger's Secret Sidekick. Tom Gill's stories written with Tim Lasiuta. Book provided by the publisher, Five Star Publications.

Unless you're very young, you have to be familiar with the Lone Ranger. White hat, black mask, and a beautiful white horse named Silver. And his faithful sidekick, Tonto.

I remember both the comics and a TV show from the past, but I never thought about the man writing the comic or creating the Lone Ranger. Reading this book straightened that out.

Tom Gill was self-taught in art. He actually got his start in making maps when the war broke out in Pearl Harbor. He also visited the troops several times and made sketches of the boys in the service overseas. He had a few adventures of his own on those travels, too.

He drew more than 135 Lone Ranger comic books. He also taught at the Cartoonists and Illustrators School in New York City.

Tom's memories are filled with fun and show you the nature of this good steady man. I enjoyed reading this book.

There is also a section at the back with information about the other cartoonists on the USO tours or that he worked with through the years. For me, it was like a trip down memory lane.

If you'd like my copy of this book, here are two steps to get in the drawing:

1) Leave a comment here on the blog.

2) Email me at info @ bookfaerie.com (take the spaces out) and give me your name and address and tell me why you'd like to read it.

I'll pick a winner in about a week.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...