Friday, January 29, 2010

My Sister Gracie by Gillian Johnson

This is a children's picture book from Tundra Books, and it's wonderful!

First off, I have to admit that I can really relate to the first dog's problem. He's lonely and wants some dog company for adventures and play. When he sulks around the house long enough, his people notice and decide to get another dog. He's all excited about meeting his new little brother. And then his people come home with old, fat Gracie. I mean, really!

I wanted either a little sister or an older brother and my mother really disappointed me. She had George. I felt just as betrayed as Fabio.

However, Fabio (and I) both got over it and found out having another member of the household was better than being alone.

If you have a new baby coming, this might be a way to get your older child to view the change differently. Or if you are introducing an older pet from the pound to your family, this may help the child understand that even older and less attractive pets need love.

All in all, I really enjoyed this story and think many children would too.

1 comment:

Helena Harper said...

This looks like a really fun book, Jo. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Helena

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...